Jobs & Theses
BSc/ MSc thesis
If you are interested in a topic do not hesitate to get in contact with one of our group members.
- Solvation shells around iron oxide nanoparticles (Deutscher Aushang)
- The role of metal oxide supports in heterogeneous catalysts - a PDF study (Deutscher Aushang)
- Synthesis and properties of ferrite nanoparticles (Deutscher Aushang)
We look for a Hiwi, BSc or MSc student who is interested to get in touch with neutron scattering. Via quasielastic neutron scattering, we want to study the dynamics of water molecules at facets of nanoparticles, which is important to understand interfacial properties relevant to catalysis, biomedicine or ferrofluids.
You will gain / We offer:
- Training in neutron scattering and data analysis
- Understanding of structure and dynamics at interfaces.
- Participation in beamtimes for neutron scattering experiments.
- Become member of a research team.
Internship offer for Grenoble
The wood pyrolysis – route for manufacturing of advanced carbon materials
- Processing of a set of wood pyrolysis in-situ experiments where various wood samples were heated to high temperature in the absence of oxygen.
- Use of advanced X-ray diffraction analysis techniques (Pair Distribution Function, Rietveld analysis) to determine the key structural transformation in the process with atomic precision.
- Have fun in Grenoble!
When: Summer 2019 or Fall 2019 or Winter 2020
Where: ESRF - European Synchrotron Facility in Grenoble, France
For how long: up to 4 months, but shorter terms also possible
Financial support: Ca. 1000 €/month (depending on qualification, BSc, MSc, …)
If you are not yet familiar with PDF analysis in general, this internship can be combined with a student job (Hiwi) in the Zobel group to learn the basics of XRD and PDF in Bayreuth, before heading to Grenoble.
Full description including contact details of Jakub Drnec and Mirijam Zobel.
As a 'hiwi' in our group you can choose what suits best to your likes:
- Synthesis of nanoparticles with different methods: sol-gel, co-precipitation, ...
- Characterization of nanoparticles with different techniques: dynamic light scattering, zetapotential, TEM, ...
- Fitting of crystallographic structures on the computer to experimental data
- Using different analysis software (Origin, Igor, python-based software and writing small scripts)
- X-ray diffraction measurements on the lab diffractometer
- Data analysis of diffraction data
Hiwi posting on
- Synthesis of iron oxide nanoparticles (synthesis and characterization) - Deutscher Aushang
- Structures of supported metal catalysts (Data analysis, software, X-ray diffraction) - Deutscher Aushang
- Facets and particle sizes of iron oxide nanoparticles in the TEM - Deutscher Aushang
- Dynamics of water molecules at iron oxide surfaces via neutron scattering
We advise you in any of the fields.
It is possible to join one of our beamtimes in combination with a BSc or MSc thesis. Please contact us in person if you are interested to participate in upcoming beamtimes.
- June 2020 at PETRA, Hamburg
- November 2019 at PETRA, Hamburg
- October 2019 at ISIS, Oxford
- October 2019 at ILL, Grenoble
- February 2019 at Diamond, Oxford
- October 2018 at the ESRF, Grenoble
- June 2018 at the ILL, Grenoble
- March 2018 at Diamond, Oxfordshire
- February 2018 at the ESRF, Grenoble
- October 2017 at the ESRF, Grenoble