Thesis or Hiwi - Neutron Scattering
Diffusion of water molecules at facets of magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles
We look for a Hiwi, BSc or MSc student who is interested to get in touch with neutron scattering. Via quasielastic neutron scattering, we want to study the dynamics of water molecules at facets of nanoparticles, which is important to understand interfacial properties relevant to catalysis, biomedicine or ferrofluids.
You will gain / We offer:
- Training in neutron scattering.
- Participation in our winter school on structure and dynamics, 10-14th Feb 2020 in Austria.
- Understanding of structure and dynamics at interfaces.
- Participation in beamtimes for neutron scattering experiments.
- Become member of a small international research team (3 to 5 people).
- Presentation of your research work at a conference (QENS/WINS in Spain, June 2020).
This project involves one or several of the following tasks:
- Data analysis of neutron scattering data with software of your choice (Origin, Matlab, Igor, etc.).
- Neutron scattering experiments at a research neutron reactor or spallation source.
- Prepare samples by adjusting relative humidities, perform water and nitrogen physisorption iso-therm measurements or TGA-MS.
- Regular group meetings to discuss your results.
Full advertisement here.