Experiments at synchrotron and neutron scattering facilities
Most frequently, we use high-energy, monochromatic synchrotron radiation to carry out our measurements.
The scattering data is collected on large 2D detectors like the one on the image, which shows Prof. Zobel setting up an in-situ nucleation experiment at ID-15B, ESRF. Beamtimes are carried out in small groups (2 – 4 people) going on a kind of field-trip. Data analysis is done back home.
Suitable beamlines for state-of-the art PDF experiments are located as follows:
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), Grenoble, France
- Institut Laue Langevin (ILL), Grenoble, France – neutrons
- Advanced Photon Source (APS), Chicago, USA
- XPDF, Diamond Lightsource, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
- Upcoming: XPDF, NSLS-II, Brookhaven National Labs, USA